Sunday, April 12, 2015

Lab, lab, LAB!


Hello and welcome back to the blog!
This week, I did much more of the same: RNA and protein analysis, excel graphs, and presentation slides. Our results have been very consistent so far, and we’re seeing a confirmation of what we expect to be happening theoretically in every step of the DNA to protein synthesis. The graphs, by far, are still the most time consuming part—both in the way of examining the data and plotting it. Did you know about the log scale function? I do now…
But, as a small change of events, I was able to go to one of the lab meetings this week. Usually, the lab meetings are on Fridays and are a short presentation of our work between the 5 of us in the lab. So, I should have known something was odd when I found out there was a lab meeting Monday, instead. But, at the time, I didn’t. And when I arrived at the lab meeting and there were buckets of food outside the door, I should have thought that was odd as well. But, I didn’t and I happily picked up a veggie sandwich. It was really only when I opened the door to the meeting room and 6 times the amount of people I was used to seeing that I knew something was up.
Evidently, this would be the mother ship of meetings: a discussion by all the scientists working on Multiple Myeloma in the Mayo Clinic Labs. A lot of the information that was transferred between this groups passed over my head: but what little I did gather was incredible and encouraging. There are many new connections to be made about multiple myeloma that will allow us to understand it more. It was more than exciting to see so many so passionate about this one field, and to witness the joining of like, experienced minds.
Thank you for reading!
Angela

2 comments:

  1. It's cool that all of these people are sharing all of their information so openly. I guess it would be pretty difficult to make any progress if everyone just kept to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Mr. Black from Lutheran High School in Parker, Colorado. That is exciting that you saw so many people who were passionate about a problem come together with the goal of solving this issue. Hopefully that helped you see, or solidify in your mind, the power of collaboration. It also is a reminder that even if we think our interest is very unique and that no one else would care about it, there are many others who have the same interest and passion. Technology is a way that we can find and connect with these other people.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete